Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Pain Meds, Brain Function and Odd Memories

I have arthritis.

Occasionally, particularly when the weather is damp, I hurt.  A lot.  On rare occasions I hurt enough to actually take something for the pain.  I try not to do that.  For a lot of reasons.  Getting too used to pain medication is bad; taking any medication isn't great for my one remaining kidney; it affects my ability to think properly which is kind of counterproductive for living; it loosens up my self control (which is not a good idea people.  Really.), etc.

But today it was very, very bad.  So I took something.  I now hurt considerably less.  And I am very, VERY mellow.

A post on Facebook about a woman getting an MRI of her brain and doing meditation to stay calm during the process reminded me of something that happened to me many years ago now.

I was having a MRI done of my head because of a pituitary tumor.  I needed to lay VERY VERY still so they could get a good picture.  So I did my relaxation and meditation exercises.

SUDDENLY I AM WHEELED OUT, THERE ARE FLASHING LIGHTS, THERE IS A NURSE WITH PADDLES IN HER HANDS LEANING OVER ME!

ME:  "What the hell?"

NURSE:   "OH!  You're . . . you're not. . . . You're okay?"

ME:  "I WAS fine.  Not so sure now.  Wazzup?"

NURSE:  "Your blood pressure and pulse went so low, we thought we were losing you.  Yesterday we had a guy react to the dye and crash."

ME:  "Oh.  No.  Just doing my relaxation and meditation."

NURSE:  "Um.  Good?  But maybe you don't need to be quite THAT relaxed."

ME:  "At this point, I don't think it's going to be a problem."


2 comments:

Ellece said...

I need to learn how to deal with MRIs! I'm sorry you are having a pain day. I totally understand that, ugh. <3

Scott olson said...

Can you teach me that? Thanks could sure use it!