Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my Mom's birthday.  I will call her later and wish her a happy one.  I love her very much.

A part of me is considering wearing something funky to work, but it's a pretty conservative place, so I probably won't.  Sigh.

Depression is a very insidious thing.  It sneaks up on you, putting you to sleep, keeping you immobile, until you've lost touch with everything and don't even much care.  Life keeps moving on irregardless. 

I am trying hard to get back on track.  But I run out of energy and give-a-damn pretty quickly.

Still, I have to keep moving. 

So I will.

I have much to be grateful for. 

And I want to thank God that the devastation from hurricane Sandy wasn't worse.  Oh, it's terrible.  Don't get me wrong.  The pictures are humbling and hard to wrap your head around.  But it could have been so much worse.  Think back to the times when we didn't have the kind of technology to warn us that this sort of disaster was on the way, and that it really was that bad, so that people had warning to evacuate out of the storm's path.  How many more lives would have been lost?

I am so sorry for those families who lost members.  I am sorry for the people who died--for the animals who died.  (I do wonder about the zoos.  How did the animals there fare?)  Life will change for everyone in the areas devastated by the storm.  That is a hard fact we learned from Katrina and other major hurricanes. 

But people are strong.  They will rebuild.  And other people, whose lives weren't shattered, will help.  It's what we do.

No comments: