Saturday, June 11, 2011

Scheduling

Yes, this is not an exciting post subject. I mean, really, who cares?

Well, I do. Because one of the tried and true facts of life for a multi-published person is DEADLINES.

And no, they're not just suggestions. When the publisher says they want it then, they really do. And they've scheduled things like editing and cover art and publicity and publishing schedules around it.

Yes, if something drastic happens they'll cut you slack. And there is (sometimes) a little wiggle room worked in. But it's only a LITTLE wiggle room, if any. And you don't want to push that envelope. Besides, they paid you to deliver, so you need to . . . well, deliver.

So while Cathy is plugging away on edits I am faced with a dilemma.

The first book of the new book is 3/4 done. It's going well. I've actually caught some kind of rhythm, know where it's going, and it's heating up to a climax.

But the next Celia book needs to be written. It's actually scheduled.

ARGH!

So, after angst, and hemming, and hawing, and weighing my options (which, by the way, are NOT losing weight in THEIR bust thank you very much) I am giving myself until either the 15th or next weekend to wrap up the current book and start on Celia.

I want to get it finished. I really do. Because if I don't the book is liable to "turn to ashes" in my head (to quote a favorite author's phrase.)

And then there's the newsletter. And picking the winner for the prizes and MAKING the prizes for the posse members, and doing paperwork and cleaning the freaking house and doing the laundry and taking care of the animals and and and and . . . . CRAP.

Okay, enough whining. And enough stalling. Wish me good luck. I am going to check and see if the laundry is dry, then I am BACK TO WRITING.

Cie

No comments: