Monday, June 15, 2009

Visiting Dignitary

Okay, only here for a second to post this. Deadline looming. Book progressing and all that.

Please give a very warm welcome and LOTSA comments to Rachel Caine. :)

****************************
So, welcome to the blog. Now there are some pesky rumors that have arisen that I’ve resorted to beating other authors about the head and neck to drag them here, which is simply not true!

I would like to assure your readers that you did not beat me about the head and neck, or drag me here. There was a lasso involved, but the bruises hardly show, really.

ANYWAY, I’m going to dive right in. Is there any one character you’ve written that is your absolute favorite? Why?

I feel guilty saying it, but yes ... it’s Shane, from the Morganville Vampires series. Although honestly, I love writing all the characters from that series. I always hate answering this question because I think I should love ALL my characters equally, and now I feel that I’ve let down David and Joanne, who are also brilliant fun to write, and Cassiel is coming to kick my ass from Outcast Season ... great. Now my characters all hate me. Thanks.

Writing is hard work! Have you ever had the dread WRITER’S BLOCK? If so, what do you do to get past it?

Procrastination. No, seriously. If I’m blocked, I wait until the looming deadline panic overwhelms the deadly ennui of being “uninspired.” That always works.

Another thing that works is to figure out where my story stopped being interesting to me ... because the block is, to me, a sign that I’ve gone off the rails somewhere, and I just need to find out where. If I can’t, after a reasonable effort, I jump past it to another part of the story, then go back and fill in.

Almost every author I’ve met gives back to the community by supporting favorite charities. Do you have one? Could you tell me about it? Is there a particular reason why that charity?

I particularly support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, which is a great advocate in fighting breast cancer and funding treatment advances. It’s not only an awesome cause, it’s also personal to me. I had breast cancer in 2005, and had two surgeries and aggressive radiation to combat the disease. Not only that, I know several wonderful ladies who’ve also faced this challenge.

I also support the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, in honor of my friend Timothy Bartz, who was one of the best, most interesting people I’ve ever known. CF took him from us at the age of 33.

And naturally, as the writer of the Weather Warden series, I promote the Red Cross!

So, what does your schedule look like for the next few months? Anything new coming out that we should keep an eye out for? Tell us a little about it.

June 2 - the release of CARPE CORPUS, the 6th Morganville Vampires book. June 8 - the release of the audiobook of GLASS HOUSES, the 1st Morganville book. July 7 - the release of STRANGE BREW, an anthology by P.N. Elrod, with an original short story from me in it. July 14 - release of the audiobook of THE DEAD GIRLS’ DANCE (Morganville #2). July 27 - ETERNAL KISS comes out, another anthology edited by Trisha Telep, with an original Morganville short story. August 4 - CAPE STORM, the 8th Weather Warden novel. August 11 - release of the audiobook of MIDNIGHT ALLEY (Morganville #3). September 12 - release of the audiobook of FEAST OF FOOLS (Morganville #4). November 3 - FADE OUT, the 7th Morganville novel.

You might say I’m going to be a wee bit busy.

What type of books do you read for pleasure? Any favorite authors?

I absolutely love suspense novels, and that’s what I love to read ... mainstream suspense, police procedurals, mysteries, thrillers, big epic adventure books. I also love historical mysteries, like John Maddox Roberts’ SPQR series. But I equally adore fantasy and SF. So my reading is all over the map. Right now, I’m reading Lee Child, Richelle Mead, P.N. Elrod (she has a new limited-edition Jack Fleming novel out via her website at www.vampwriter.com), Charlaine Harris, Douglas Preston & Lincoln Childs, Jim Butcher. Just read Susanne Collins’ HUNGER GAMES, which is an amazing book.

Do you have a day job, or do you write full-time?

Ouch. Day job. Full time. Plus the writing.

Do you have any hobbies?

Sleeping. Okay, and movies and TV. Is email a hobby? Because I do a lot of that.

OKAY, I’m going to do one of those short MEME things here.

Favorite song: Today? Eeek. “It’s The Little Things” - Danny Elfman. Of all time? “Supermassive Black Hole” - Muse
Favorite movie or TV show: ... Today: “CASTLE” (TV). “UP” (movie). Of all time: “Buffy” (TV). “Aliens” (movie).
Favorite color: Purple. Or orange. I’m not consistent.
Favorite food: Indian food. Preferably curry.
Favorite drink: A really good glass of wine.
Is the glass half-full or half-empty: Like Schroedinger’s cat, it is exists in a state of being and not-being until it is drunk. Then, of course, it’s empty.
What animal do you think is most like your personality? A hedgehog. Something cute, but spiny.
Vampire/Werewolf/Other: Vampire, baby! Or other. Like I said, I’m not consistent. Can I vote for Djinn?

If you could only give one piece of advice to new or aspiring writers, that would help them in the business, what would it be?

Be patient. This is not a fast process, the exceptions trumpeted in the news to the contrary. And it IS a process. Stay focused on your goals, learn, grow, and adapt. And just don’t ever quit.

Thanks again for this. Do you mind if I take the piece of advice and put it in our newsletter and on our website in “The Craft Corner”? (If no, it’s okay, but I really would appreciate it.)

No problem!

3 comments:

Jackie Uhrmacher said...

My mind must still be asleep because out of that entire entertaining post, the fact that "Supermassive Black Hole" is one of your favorite songs stuck out the most. I am a huge Muse fan, have been ever since they did the spot for TCM, and that song in particular likes to burrow into my brain and not leave for days at a time. And now it's back.

Dolly Sandor said...

Just love your books and after getting hooked on your blog...appreciate your sense of humor. You have a really great outlook on your life. Only one complaint...write faster...lol

Suzette said...

I dont consider email a hobby, sometimes a chore, but never a hobby....lol